Number 1281: Spook Comics

Người đăng: Unknown on Chủ Nhật, 16 tháng 12, 2012

Spook Comics #1-and-only is one of those oddball one-shots that came out in the mid-'40s. It's credited to Baily Publishing, which would be Bernard Baily. Baily was co-creator, with Jerry Siegel, of The Spectre. He was a journeyman cartoonist and a longtime DC Comics contributor into the '60s. The Grand Comics Database lists only eight individual issues published by Baily, so it wasn’t like he was setting the world of comics on fire. Spook Comics cover featured Mr. Lucifer, credited by GCD to John Giunta, pencils, and a question mark after Frank Frazetta for inks.

I've decided to show all the stories from the comic because in its own weird way I like it. I like the unusual artwork for Mr. Lucifer in “Up Pops the Devil!”, which is well done, even if sabotaged by bad printing, I like that Gregory the Ghost doesn't fit any kind of popular conception of ghost that I know. I’m not as hot for Cheap Skate or Dr. Paul Barer, but I really like “The Obi Makes Jumbee,” which is a unusual take on the zombie story. The GCD credits it to Robert Baldwin, an artist with whom I’m not familiar.

I wonder how they did this comic...did they plan to make a series, or did they just have stories lying around that they put together for a one-shot? I also wondered the same about Tally-Ho Comics, another one-shot that followed the same pattern, also credited to Baily.

From Spook Comics #1 (1946):































{ 0 nhận xét... read them below or add one }

Đăng nhận xét