DC Trade Solicitations for September 2014 - Green Arrow by Grell Vol. 2, Teen Titans: Earth One, JSA Omnibus Vol. 2, Gotham City Sirens, Batman/Superman

Người đăng: Unknown on Thứ Sáu, 20 tháng 6, 2014

Last month DC solicited Martian Manhunter and Gordon of Gotham; this month in DC Comics's September 2014 hardcover and trade paperback collections solicitations, it's Green Arrow by Mike Grell and an almost-perfect JSA Omnibus Vol. 2. Every book won't please every fan, but I think the collections landscape -- especially as regards 1980s-2000s material -- is rosier than it's been for a while. Here's my picks for this month:

Green Arrow Vol. 2: Here There Be Dragons TP
Green Arrow Vol. 5: The Outsiders War TP

Among the collections I'm most excited about lately have been this new series of the 1980s Green Arrow by Mike Grell. I can't recommend enough pre-ordering this second one, which collects issue #7-12. Next volume (or so) would have Grell's take on Green Lantern Hal Jordan, but as with many series of this type, the publication of the next book is going to be contingent on how this one sells.

Also out this month, the next Green Arrow collection by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino, which is reported to collect issue #25 (the "Zero Year" issue) and the six-part "Outsiders War," issues #26-31.

JSA Omnibus Vol. 2 HC

DC says the second volume of the JSA Omnibus collects issues #26-81, JSA Annual #1, and JSA Secret Files #1. If the last one is a typo, and this actually contains JSA Secret Files #2 (Secret Files #1 is collected in the first omnibus), then I'll be satisfied.

I do acknowledge that so far (and this could change), the JSA Omnibus Vol. 2 doesn't include Hawkman #23-25, which was part of the "Black Reign" crossover; however, because DC has collected those issues in a Hawkman omnibus, I consider them "collected" (though that Hawkman Omnibus did also include the JSA issues).

It's different than the Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus, which seems to be lacking relevant Green Lantern Corps "Sinestro Corps War" issues -- those aren't available in any similar omnibus-type format, whereas the Hawkman issues are in their own omnibus that's arguably a companion volume to the JSA Omnibus anyway. I know this won't please everyone, but if the missing Hawkman issues turn out to be the JSA Omnibuses' biggest flaw, again, I'm satisfied.

UPDATE: In the comments, David Raid directs us to this Twitter exchange, where Jeff Boison, VP of DC collections, says the Hawkman issues will be included.

Gotham City Sirens Book One TP

This re-collection of the 2009 Paul Dini series caught my eye when DC announced it back in March because of its seeming randomness -- the resurrection from the dead of a book that essentially petered out shortly before Flashpoint. But there's lots of reasons for DC to trot this back out again (though I'm surprised it's not re-branded in some way, like "Harley Quinn: Gotham City Sirens"): Dini's presence, as well as artist Guillem March, and stories by a bunch of current DC writers -- Marc Andreyko, Tony Bedard, Scott Lobdell -- plus the aforementioned resurgent popularity of Harley Quinn. If DC wants to re-release Streets of Gotham or other books of that era, I'm all for it.

Teen Titans Earth One Vol. 1 HC
Teen Titans: A Celebration of 50 Years HC

I really like the concept of the Earth One books (even reviewed Superman: Earth One Vol. 1 live, way back when) and I expect good things from a graphic novel by Jeff Lemire, but I don't know that I'm as excited for this as I was for the Superman and Batman books. The Earth One Superman and Batman were still Superman and Batman, effectively; at the outset, Lemire's book looks more like an Elseworlds than a "hero just starting out" story. We'll see; no doubt I'll be picking it up at some point.

Also this month we have the hardcover Teen Titans: A Celebration of Fifty Years. At the outset this appears to include classic Bob Haney/Nick Cardy material, Marv Wolfman and George Perez, and then Geoff Johns and Mike McKone -- so, early Infinite Crisis-era Teen Titans material. I might be the only one, but I'm hoping there's a little space in this 400-page book for more esoteric material -- "Titans Hunt," Team Titans, the Deathstroke series, Arsenal's Titans, the Dan Jurgens "young Atom" Titans, and so on.

All-Star Western Vol. 5: Man Out of Time TP

I have tried and failed (and will try again) to really get in to Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray's All-Star Western. This volume, by design, will probably get a look from me eventually since it brings Jonah Hex into the present and also guest-stars Booster Gold. My sense is that Booster's appearance here is unrelated to any such in Futures End (I don't know, just guessing), which at the same time dampens my enthusiasm for it.

Aquaman Vol. 5: Sea of Storms HC

I haven't read a whit of Jeff Parker's Aquaman, but on the face of it I'm not sure how interested I am in Aquaman fighting characters of Greek mythology; seems to me that's taking Aquaman into Wonder Woman territory rather than charting his own path.

Batman/Superman Vol. 2: Endgame HC

Reason #244 it's best to be a trade-waiter: All the controversy over the out-of-order and late shipping of the different parts of the "First Contact" crossover don't matter since they're all together here. Collects Batman/Superman #5-9, Annual #1, and Worlds' Finest #20-21.

Batman and Robin Vol. 5: The Big Burn HC

Nothing I like more than a hardcover collection of Peter Tomasi/Patrick Gleason work. No doubt both writer and artist will do a stellar job with Two-Face, and I think I'll like this one better than the last volume since it's one long story instead of a collection of one-offs.

Batman: Detective Comics Vol. 5 – Gothtopia HC

I do want to read the anniversary Detective Comics #27, but the "Gothtopia" crossover -- which hits Batgirl and Catwoman, too, and I'm surprised those issues aren't included here -- rubs me the wrong way. I mean, we all know whatever alternate reality is in the story is a hoax or a dream, right, and so that would seem to me the least interesting part of the story. Reminds me a bit of the "World Without Young Justice" crossover from the end of that series, that ran through the YJ, Impulse, Robin, and Superboy series; yeah, crossovers are fun, but if I want to read an Elseworlds, I'll read an Elseworlds.

Justice League 3000 Vol. 1: Yesterday Lives TP

Haven't heard much good coming out of the Justice League 3000 title since the original controversy over Kevin Maguire leaving the series. Seems to me "Justice League" in the title isn't enough, but rather this book is going to need to start tying in to the modern-day DC Universe sooner or later, or face the very troubles Legion of Super-Heroes had. And do I have it right that Justice League 3000 doesn't get a "Five Years Later" issue?

Trinity of Sin: Pandora Vol. 2 TP

The last trade of Trinity of Sin: Pandora, ending with issue #14. This book includes both Forever Evil and "Blight" tie-ins, plus I,Vampire's Andrew Bennett (at least it's going out with a bang).

Suicide Squad Vol. 5: Walled in TP

After the most recent collection of Mind MGMT, I'm even more eager to read Matt Kindt's run on Suicide Squad, even if it's limited to just this volume. Glad to see this collection should also include the Amanda Waller special by Jim Zub.

You know the drill ... Them's are my picks; what're yours?

{ 0 nhận xét... read them below or add one }

Đăng nhận xét