Number 1158: Sub-Mariner's fatalist attraction

Người đăng: Unknown on Thứ Tư, 16 tháng 5, 2012


 

I liked that Sub-Mariner waged a war against humankind while simultaneously helping us. Makes for a very conflicted character, more interesting than many of the goody two-shoes superheroes of the era.

In this particular story a three-man group called the Fatalists is trying to peddle a death ray to various countries around the globe. No one wants it because it would be the end of the world. Since when has that stopped an aggressive nation? There are several right now who'd love to have such a weapon.

The story gets really unrealistic when the president of a country is ready to sacrifice his kidnapped son to the death ray rather than give in and buy it! And the kid doesn't hate his old man! Personally, if I were that kid I'd already be plotting to take over that miserable country, having Pop "deposed" by a coup and a firing squad. But that's just me.

In some ways I share some character traits with Sub-Mariner. Not that I hate everyone, mind you, but there are days when I think our planet would be better off without people. From Sub-Mariner #38, the last pre-Comics Code issue (1955), drawn by Bill Everett.







{ 0 nhận xét... read them below or add one }

Đăng nhận xét